Friday, September 18, 2009

Welcome to Slovenia!

Day 15

Why are we so stupid? This is the question Morgan and I asked each other, as we sat in the tourist office in Ljubljana.

Two days prior we had received confirmation that we had a host for two nights, along with instructions for meeting them and two cell phone numbers. One day prior we had received a preliminary invitation to staz with a different host for a week. We had promptly cancelled with our first host, banking on the second, and had never heard back.

Now we were in Ljubljana, with nowhere to go, having squandered a perfectly good opportunity to couchsurf with a great family.

What should we do? I guess we'll call Tone (like Tony), and see if he'll still take us. Humbly, I dialed the phone. "Tone? Hi, this is Tommy from couchsurfing..." Embarrassed, I explained the situation. Graciously, he responded. "Of course you can stay with us! I'll pick you up at the Dragon Bridge in 10 minutes."

10 minutes later we were in his car, learning about Slovenia, and completely excited to be staying with Tone.

"When we get home you and I will go cycling, but we need to leave right away!"

No arguments from me!

After borrowing pair of shorts and quickly changing, I left Morgan in the care of Tone's wife and daughter, Ksenija and Hana, we were on the road. The rain had been swept away and the roads and trails were beautiful. As we climbed, Tone told me about the history of the land, and his desire to have a house in the beautiful countryside we rode through.

"Are you doing ok?" he asked.
"I have to much pride to tell you if I wasn't!" I huffed back.

We joked our way up a road deserted from cars but saw many other bikers. The destination? A hilltop pub with a view of the entire valley. We could see Ljubljana to the west, and the mountains near the Austrian border to the north. Sitting at the tables outside were a dozen roadies, drinking a beer together before heading back home. Tone bought us each a Radler (also known as a "cyclist," light beer and lemonade) and we sat and talked while enjoying the view. I thought I was in cycling heaven.

P1030068

When we finally got home after a wicked trail descent, it was getting dark. I took a shower, got some fresh clothes on, and we all sat down to a meal of pumpkin soup, delicious pasta, and community salad (we shared one big bowl). Ksenija is an amazing cook. For a third time, we were completely blown away by the hospitality of complete strangers.

Couchsurfing strikes again!

Burpee count: 17

3 comments:

Rick L. said...

Tommy, what a thrill! The 'Donut Ride' gang would be envious. You have had some awesome experiences already. And ... your 'journal' is so much more enjoyable to read than the one from your first Europe trip :)

Dad

Tommy Lingbloom said...

I have a real journal as well, but I haven't touched it since the train out of Prague...

Isaac Hurst said...

I'm thinking that the keyboards in Europe have a "z" where the "y" usually is. Or you're beginning to speak a little differently then you did back here.

Also, I'm thinking that all of your time being social will mean you will have to drink many more beers and will come back to the states with an acquired taste for foreign beer. Then you will import lots of it and treat J and I. Huzzah!