Monday, August 16, 2010

Prunus persica, or how I acquired and used 40 pounds of peaches

While Tommy had his heart set on biking all the way to Wilbur over Washington Pass, my one desire was to buy peaches (prunus persica) during our Eastern Washington Excursion. Before leaving home, I researched all of the little orchards and farmstands from Twisp to Omak. I took orders from family and friends, promising a box of joy on my return.

P1050916

After stopping at 4 roadside stands, we learned that freestone peaches were not ready yet and that the early redhaven variety was not as prized for canning. Oh well, I had my heart set on peaches and if I needed to freeze them all then I would!

Hoping that Wenatchee might be just far enough south to have the freestone peaches in season, we took Hwy 2 home instead of Hwy 20. At the Wenatchee farmer's market, we scored. A very friendly lady was selling 20 pounds of organic peaches for $1/lb. Good price. The question was, did I want one box or two? I ended up buying 5 boxes of peaches: 2.25 boxes for me, 1 box for Alex, 1 box for Beth, .5 box for Shari, .25 box for Jessica. I also bought 10 pounds of cherries because they were so good.

What did I do with my treasures?

P1050949

Rum Soaked Cherries - 16, 4 oz jars
Amaretto Soaked Cherries and Peaches - 6, 8oz jars
Boozy Cherry Molasses with Rum & Kirsch (3), with Amaretto (4) - 7, 4 oz jars
Sweetheart Cherry Peach Jam - 5, 8 oz jars
Rainier Cherry Peach Jam - 6, 16 oz jars
Hibiscus Peaches - 16, 16 oz jars
Frozen Peaches - 10 lbs
Peach Cherry Rustic Rye Tart - 1, 9-in tart; 8, 3-in tartlettes
Crunchy Top Peach Pie - 1, 9-in pie (Received Honorable Mention at my Neighborhood Association Picnic Dessert Competition!)
Eating - 6 peaches (If I were Lynn, this number would be much higher - to the tune of at least one full box of peaches just for eating.); 3 pounds cherries - Tommy ate about 2 pounds on the way home from Wenatchee.

P1050932

Could I have used more? Of course! I have already got my eye on this Peach Butter and this Peach Chocolate Dessert Sauce. Next year.



2 comments:

Lynn said...

i would have eaten more! i am in california right now, and they still have lots of strawberries, so i have eaten about 5 pounds in six days.

Jamie said...

oh wow, how neat! i wish i was there! i got myself a pressure cooker for canning last year and never got to use it in cleveland. no $1/lb deals to be found. :/
one day i will be like you morgo.