Monday, January 4, 2010

The Answers are In!

Q: Tommy, what is your sense about how Americas are received abroad at this point in history?

A: As far as an overall trend is concerned, things are definitely better that when I traveled 5 years ago. I think that people's perception of a country is largely based on its leadership. Given the popularity of Obama on the international scene, especially compared to GW, people seem to be warming up to Americans once again.

That being said, it varies a great deal based on what part of the world you are in. In Kosovo, Americans are beloved and Bill Clinton is a hero. In Serbia, it's the opposite. Recent international policy has a huge effect on these attitudes. In Jordan and Egypt, the fact that we were Americans would elicit standoffish responses. The exception was when somebody was trying to sell us something: "USA number one!"

Q: Morgan, what is your impression about how women are treated abroad, by both nationals and visitors? You have traveled in areas that historically don't treat women so well. I hope that is changing...

A: I can't really answer this question because I didn't personally witness or have many interactions with women, especially in the Middle Eastern countries we visited. I did notice two major differences though: 1) Clothing - obviously, women in Turkey, Jordan and Egypt wear a hijab (headcovering) and wear very modest clothing. 2) Visibility in society - in Dahab, on the Sinai Peninsula, I saw three local women in 5 days. Two of these women were walking down the street with their children and one was working in a shop. In Siwa, Egypt, we counted about ten women during our 2 day stay. The women in Siwa were usually sitting in the back of a donkey cart with their children while their husband or oldest son drove the cart. Even in Cairo, we interacted mainly with men in taxis, restaurants, and tourist attractions.

Q: Both of you: Where did you encounter the best chocolate?

A: We ate a lot of Snickers bars during long bus rides and hike. They were passable, not great. We tried some Salt Chocolate that was made in Slovenia. It was not my favorite. The winner in the chocolate category was a dessert Tommy had in Istanbul. He saw it in a shop window as we passed by so we made a date to stop by there later in the week to try it. It was full of raspberries and chocolate mousse.

P1030898

Q: Okay, which clothes do you absolutely want to burn? What items are your picking up for leg 2 (things you forgot, or things you used a lot)? New clothing items?

A: (Morgan) I got a little sick of my purple-pink-teal selection of tops. I often felt like a 14-year old. For leg 2 I am taking more black! Also I am leaving behind my shorts and jeans. Shorts - I never wore them, my skirt and dress were much more fun to wear. Jeans - essential on the first half, as it was quite cold and dress was more modest, but SE Asia is too hot for jeans.

IMG_5099

A: (Tommy) The varying climates made packing a challenge. We had to contend with hot weather and snow in the same trip. For SE Asia it will only be warm and humid, so we are bringing a lot less! I brought 4 pairs of shoes - running shoes, goretex hiking shoes, flip flops, and chacos. I was glad to have them all. Now I am only taking chacos and running shoes. I had a pair of jeans and dress pants, both of which had "structural failures." Yikes. I am leaving behind my fleece and a few shirts as well, so I have about half the clothes (by volume) that I had before. I am bringing a new round of t-shirts that I am not sick of yet.

Thanks to Sarah and Emily who posted questions about our trip. Nicole, Brian and Bob thanks for the silly ones.

Our flight leaves in 9 hours!

Click on any photo to view our flickr photostream. We love comments.

No comments: