Thursday, December 18, 2008

Let it Snow...

Bellingham was re-blanketed in snow yesterday, this time more than just a dusting. School is cancelled, and Morgan and I are mustering our courage to go out and play, despite high winds and low temperatures.


Yesterday there was less wind, and when I left Shuksan Middle School at 2:00, I went straight home to rig together a way to pull sleds behind my bike. I wiped out before I even left the parking lot, much to the excitement of the Life Skills students playing outside! It was a shaky ride home, but with my cross tires on it was better than it could've been.
I met Mark at Woburn and Sunset, and we made our way to Woodside. The roads weren't as fast as we had hoped, because there was not yet a layer of compact ice under the snow. Instead, we went to the short but steep hill across the street, alongside a set of stairs. A few runs there was enough to give us our kicks. I wish I had a photo of Mark with the icicle eyebrows he developed on one of his runs!








Jamie showed up just as we were leaving, and demanded that I pull her behind my bike. I did feel a little bad, so I obliged. To be honest, I did not thnk a bent coat hanger would work to pull the sleds, let alone with her in them, but they held up.

The bike was an adventure to be sure! Two wipeouts and a dozen or so close calls kept my heart racing at all times. I would definitely try it again in the snow, but I may want to look into some studded tires...

No comments: