Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Grace for the Moment

Last week Mitch went home. It was weird after he left, a major transition in our trip. An hour after his flight left it started pouring rain (sorry you missed it Mitch!), and Mo and I took a walk in the downpour.

The next day we flew to Chiang Mai with vague plans to volunteer at Grace International School. Tad Williams' family attends/administers/teaches at Grace, and so we have been staying at their house and helping out in small ways at the school. Morgan is in the science department and I am in P.E. Woohoo!

The Williams are awesome. It is so great to be in a home for (to us) an extended period of time. They are fun, welcoming, and kind. On Sunday night I went with Seth (Tad's older brother) to an Irish pub to watch premier league soccer. We were joined by two student teachers from Norway and a guy from the Faeroe Islands. we got cussed out by a crazy British woman for cheering for Manchester United, who was destroying Arsenal. It was great fun.

Chiang Mai also has the best market/bazaar we have been to in all our travels. They are selling cool, local stuff, and vendors let you look at their stuff without bothering you. It takes place on Sunday nights when they shut down an entire city street for people to walk down.

A special surprise happened at the market, when I saw towering over the rest of the populous one Steven Shetterly! It was easy to find him in a crowd; I must be the same way! The next day we went hiking with him up to some waterfalls outside of town where there were absolutely no tourists at all.

We'll keep you posted oon the rest of our trip, but I will leave you with our general plan, cut and pasted from a Morgan e-mail:

We have a basic plan for the next 2 months:
- 2 weeks in Chiang Mai
- travel a few days in Laos
- 1.5 weeks in Vang Vieng Laos teaching English and working on an organic mulberry farm
- 2 weeks traveling in North Vietnam
- 1.5 weeks in Quy Nohn with Steven and Joelle
- fly home March 29!

Pictures to come.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Kel and I stayed with the Koeshall's in Belgium after a month of traveling and it was SO NICE to be part of a family and in a house, even though it was just a week! What a blessing...

Eat some tasty food for us!

Purls of Warmth said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you both! I think of you everyday due to the lovely magnets on our fridge! ;) I found those Finn Crisp rye crackers that we liked to eat with jam and cheese in Cairo at a local grocery store and immediately thought of teatime with you! How I miss our games of Kaluki and 13 with jam, cheese, bread and crackers!

Things have been settling down somewhat here. Although, in my second week back at work I was given a "letter of contemplation" basically telling me that I "might" get laid off due to the Vancouver School Board's current deficit. That letter lit a fire under me and I ended up applying to UBC to do a Masters in Music Education. I hope that I get in!

I love reading about everything that you're going through. As hard as it is, remember that it is all a once in a lifetime opportunity and if nothing else, you'll have a great story to tell (as was the case with the deportation...yikes!).

Miss you both!

Kathy-Ann