Friday, October 17, 2008

Unexpected Fractions Lesson

"What's wrong with your tie, Mr. Lingbloom?"

Class had only just begun, and as I looked down at my favorite light blue necktie several thoughts rushed through my head:

1. "How on earth did the bottom of my tie get snipped off?"
2. "How can I catch the punk that took a pair of scissors to my wardrobe?"
3. "I just spent twenty minutes slicing strips of paper with a giant cutting board, and apparently I am an idiot."

I imagine I had a very entertaining look of confusion on my face as I mulled these things over, because the entire class waited for a response expectantly. "Well, I already told you I wasn't feeling well, so maybe its just going to be one of those days." I promptly hung the tie up on the bulletin board, and began the lesson I had prepared, ironically, on fractions.

I went home immediately after class on Wednesday, but apparently the story was a big hit at the staff meeting, because all I heard on Thursday from fellow teacherswas "Why aren't you wearing a tie today?" and "What was your lesson on yesterday? Fractions?"

Today I moved the tie to a more permanent location on the wall, partnered with a sign that reads "It's ok to make mistakes!"

No comments: